participation grades????

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 08:48:28 PDT

Hi,
During those times (before holidays, end of the school year) when student
attention to work falters, I use on-task points. I have the class list on
an overhead transparency. I announce that three times during the period, I
will look around and see who is working. Each time I look I will assign the
students either 5 points or zero points. I then put the chart back on the
overhead for everyone to see. This gives the non-workers a chance to change
their behavior and be on task for the next round of points.

I also use a computer grade program and the on-task points for that day or
week are listed. I have never had a parent complain or comment on a poor
grade for on-task points. The title of the category tells the whole story!

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA