Re: "fine" artists who make you cringe

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 06:25:33 PDT

Wendy, I think this is a fantastic idea! I always tell my students that as artists, they don't have to like every artwork they see, but they do have to be able to tell me why they don't like it. It's ugly, it's dumb, it's wierd - well, those descriptions are just as bad as "it's cool". Fredd Babb seems to be working in this direction lately - his latest paintings that I have seen are actually kitsch paintings done by other artists and altered by Babb. Some of the alterings are interesting, some just seem to deface the original. Maybe they could take the magazine image and actually alter it somehow to discover that it's actually more challenging than they think.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>i was thinking a cool project for mid/advanced level hs students would be to find an artwork they can't stand (we've got tons >of books and old art mags in the room), critique it, and write a proposal for re-doing it broken down into how they would >change it compositionally, referring to specific el. and prins, how they would change the style, subject, expressive quality, >techniques... next, meet with me to discuss ideas, sketch, and create a final comp. based on their plan. thanks for the idea, >everybody!!!!

---