Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

"fine" artists who make you cringe

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 06:14:36 PDT

mine: bacon - while i respect his skill as an expressive painter, to me his works are nightmarish!
dubuffet - the arte povera phase when he mixed dirt with his paint and everything looked like poop, eew!
but then later he made these nifty design-y things i really like??? hmmm...
damien hirst, worst of all, to me - sensationalist, schlocky, vile, no-talent
i was thinking a cool project for mid/advanced level hs students would be to find an artwork they can't stand (we've got tons of books and old art mags in the room), critique it, and write a proposal for re-doing it broken down into how they would change it compositionally, referring to specific el. and prins, how they would change the style, subject, expressive quality, techniques... next, meet with me to discuss ideas, sketch, and create a final comp. based on their plan. thanks for the idea, everybody!!!!
wendy free

Do you Yahoo!?