Making papyrus paper

---------

From: Tracey Collier (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 03:14:56 PDT

Dear Jayna and the rest of the gang

I once made paper with a group of kids from a cpecies of papyrus we grow
in our gardens here. It is not the same as what they use in Egypt but
near ehough. I can send you a pic of the one we used.

We peeled the hard green outer skin off first. The white pith inside
remained. Then we laid it in paralel lines on a smooth piece of plastic.
Then overlay with another layer at 90 degrees. Pound it with a stone to
get most of the juice out and leave to dry a bit. Add on layers, each
one at 90 degrees to the previous ine . About 4 or 5 will do. Leave to
dry. We then ironed it. Put plain material over the paper before you irn
it. We found that it did not stick very ell together so we sprinkled a
bit of flour over the wet stuff to improve this.

Hope this helps

Tracey in SA

PS I think leeks will rot and do they smell BAD when they do!

Subject: Egyptian lessons and papyrus
From: Jayna Huffines <jayna_99@yahoo.com>

I am currently working with a social studies teacher on an Egyptian
collaboration. We were brainstorming the other day and I would like to
try papermaking to resemble papyrus. Ideas? Has anyone done this before?
I wonder what material to use- I am thinking leeks would be the most
similar plant. They do, however, cost 4 bucks a bunch at the grocery
store here. I'm all ears!

Have a fantabulous day,

Jayna

---