Re: weekly participation grades???? Discipline

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 23:36:18 PDT

>> Was also wondering if you like weekly participation grades?

I really like participation grades they DID work in my class. I didn't have
to grade the students every week. I had the students grade themselves
periodically (usually at the end of every project). Student knew they were
going to be grading their participation. Here is a form I used (adapted from
Teachnology):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Behavior.htm

I went around the room while they did this and helped them think about their
answers if I disagreed. After doing a couple of these - the need went
away....and I was just able to include the particpation grade when I graded
their projects. I don't know why some of your schools will not allow this
(particpation/behavior). Student behavior has a direct impact on how other
students perform in class.

The Book for Naughty Boys and Girls really nipped disruptions.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/DISCIPLINE.htm
Name went in for a warning.
Second infraction in the same class period was a minor misconduct and rule
violation was checked (If there was had time - a description was written.
If they disrupted a third time - they were sent to our 95/45 room to "cool
off"

---