Everything I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 23:02:20 PDT

Getty ArtsEdNet Talk is Great....One of their "Pet Peeves" is the core
teacher who comes into your room and wants it NOW....
This brought to mind some of my "lessons learned in Kindergarten" - Funny
how I got my job at my school because of these lessons. That super (a
different one than they have now) asked what book I had just finished
reading....It was the book by Fulghum. When I sent him my thank you letter
for the interview, I also sent him a box of 64 crayons. THAT is why I got
the job.....Anyways.... My door was always open to other staff members.... I
had plenty of supplies to share - but many of you do not. One year the
interruptions got a bit out of hand so what I did was put some basic
supplies in the teachers' lounge for all of them to share (scissors, glue,
paper) and sent them email that any additional supplies that were needed to
see me after school. That got my message across. When someone was helping
themselves to my cardboard, I put a sign on it that all of the cardboard
remaining was needed for the art show. After that, I had teachers offering
to reimburse me (my program) when they needed to cardboard. I just made sure
I ordered enough the next year (I was given an adequate budget).
Some other teachers in my building did not learn these lessons.

All I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten

Most of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and
how to be, I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the
graduate school mountain, but there in the sand box at nursery school.

These are the things I learned. Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit
people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't
take things that aren't yours. Say you are sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good
for you. Live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw some and
paint and sing and dance and play and work everyday.

Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out in the world, watch for traffic,
hold hands, and stick together. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed
in the plastic cup? The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody
really knows how or why. We are like that.

And then remember that book about Dick and Jane and the first word you
learned, the biggest word of all: LOOK! Everything you need to know is there
somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation, ecology, and
politics and the sane living.

Think of what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had
cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our
blankets for a nap. Or we had a basic policy in our nation and other nations
to always put things back where we found them and clean up our own messes.
And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the
world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

--- Robert Fulghum

>> Live a balanced life.

Here is a lesson I am re-learning....I forgot that lesson at that school.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com

---