Re: first week and weekly participation grades????

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 20:21:43 PDT

I have my middle schoolers participate in writing the classroom guidelines - all have to be based on the word respect. "What do you have to respect in the art room for all of us to work successfully?" We then explore "the what and why of art" . Types of art, etc. I then have them create their art folders for a couple of days and then dive in with something challenging, but something they can start off successful at.
jancy
Dcoxslipcovers@aol.com wrote:I need suggestions for first week activities, proceedures, projects. etc. for middle school (6-8th) am going into my second year, didn't really like what I did last
year for first week, then after that they will be working on making their own portfolios related to the element- line, and aboriginal art for the 8th grade. school starts in about 2 weeks, yikes!!
Was also wondering if you like weekly participation grades? Not sure if I will do again this year, I mainly hoped it would help with discipline, not sure it did and
makes more work for me.
I'm new to this site, have enjoyed reading new and
archived posts, thanks! Deb ---