RE: Wiliam Wegman,etc

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 18:51:28 PDT

I did mention her initially but I couldnt' remember her name. I love her
work "her pictures" or whatever you want to call them. They are cute babies.
I'm not digging for some psychological meaning in all artwork, maybe she has
some or not. Do you think art has to have some deep meaning to be art, or
can I be at home one weekend and just mess around with clay and make a
beautiful clay pot "work of art". It's great that we know how Wegman feels
about his art and the messages he wishes to convey. But can you create
something just because you want to make something beautiful. Make an
aesthetically pleasing pot. Paint a lovely scene of a beautiful English
Cottage. Just because they make money and have become somewhat Okay overly
commercialized is that wrong? We do live in America a democratic socity and
people can buy the cottages or not. I mean look at Andy Warhol. He was a
messed up individual "personally" but he created art, pushed limits,
challenged ideas, are we bashing someones character because he paints
cottages? Sorry I'm rambling a bit, but I have many contrasting thoughts on
the whole subject. However I do like Thomas K, Anne G, and Wegman.
LeAnn

btw wasn't trying to offend anyone :)