RE: Papyrus

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 18:41:08 PDT

Hi Ellen,
How authentic are you trying to be in paper-making? If you are trying for
just the paper-making experience ala the Chinese or medieval paper-making, I
suggest a product called cotton linters. It looks like very thick sheets of
large white paper. It is torn up and put into a blender with water to make
a paper slurry. Then the slurry is poured onto a screened frame, couched,
(flipped onto wool blankets) and pressed to get rid of the water. The paper
sheets are then dried. Even still, without sizing, the sheets aren't that
great to draw or paint on. I use hand-dyed cotton linters as a sculptural
medium similar to wet clay for my own artwork.

Here are some links to the paper-making community:

http://www.handpapermaking.org/LinkResellers.html

Using papyrus for paper-making is very difficult as the stems are peeled and
pounded, then laid side by side and sort of 'glued' together to make a
continuous strip.

BTW, I grow dwarf papyrus in my koi pond and really enjoy how it looks as an
historical water plant.

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School