Re: NYT cuts the arts (very long)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 13:35:50 PDT

As the parent of a "jock" I have very mixed feelings about the entire sports program thing. I do believe sports are important in school, but I also believe there should be more "pay to play". I'd be willing to pay $$$ for my kid to participate. (Hey, in my son's eyes sports are the ONLY reason to go to school!) In my school they cut the wrestling program (12 kids, 1 coach), but left basketball alone (9 kids, 2 coaches). Budget was the reason. I must have missed something in the translation there......
~Michal
  How very sad. I wonder if they cut any sports. No sports were ever mentioned at all, unless I missed it. Somehow I think if only three out of ten students are reaching literacy, there is something going on besides not enough time on the subject matter. They would be better off starting to require a parents-as-teachers program. See how many of their parents are literate and start from there....probably can't do that, right?

---