Re: Has anyone tried these ideas?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 09:59:02 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "BERHODES@comcast.net" <BERHODES@comcast.net>
> 1. I have corrugated cardboard that we will cut to form work spaces. In
> other words a 18 or 24 inch tall strip of cardboard folded in 2 places.
> They can decorate them keeping in mind that at the end of the class they
> will be stacked flat. This is for middle school 7th ant 8th grade classes
> where socializing is their favorite subject. This will be called their
> creative area" hoping they get the message!
*********************

As others have said, I also wouldn't be prone to using these for ART class
though I can also understand your frustration of over-socializing students.
I also, though, teach math in my classroom (with 5 to a table) and I DO use
something similar for test-taking. If you're still interested in using these
dividers, try bending them into thirds instead of halves. Works better this
way, sturdier, and allows more of a square area instead of pie-shaped to
work in. I just use large manila folders stapled which is enough to cover
the test paper area. We call them our "walls" and if they finish testing
early, they can draw on their walls....all year.

Understand too that the hidden area works BOTH ways. YOU won't be able to
see stuff either if they chose to waste time, phutz around, not do
work...not unless you're on your feet constantly moving around monitoring.
It's what I have to do when they take a test. Just some thoughts to ponder.
Toodles.....Bunki

---