Re: doing artwork with students

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 08:59:48 PDT

I give 10 points daily for work habits - if they work the entire class they
get 10 points, goof off for 1/2 the class they get 1/2 the points. It equals
about 1 point every 10 minutes. I take a class roster at the end of class
and give the points. Takes but a minute, cause you know immediately which
students to dock. They must get 70% of their weekly daily points or they
serve detention to make up the mis-spent classtime. They do not, however,
get to earn their daily points back during this time. Does it solve all my
problems? No, but those kids who continually insist upon not working at
least have some negative consequences for actions.
~Michal

> I really like the extra credit based on effort and time. I always tell
> students everyone may not be equally talented in the visual arts but
> everyone is equal in effort! I stress that different talents such as
> music, sports, cooking, writing etc. are all creative areas that are
> part of our human qualities which make us unique. My biggest problems
> are students who rush through their artworks not those who are working
> so slowly. Has anyone a system for giving extra credit or points (since
> I must give a number grade) for students using their time and effort
> wisely? I usually just add a +1 to 10 points to the final project. Debby

---