Kids teaching kids

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 08:02:11 PDT

I had a middle school project in which the wrinkled paper had to be
ironed smooth at the final stage (batik). I set up the one iron in a
designated area and demonstrated the process. I then called on one
student to come up and repeat it with his project. I then instructed
the class and him that he would now instruct/help the next student. He
would sit down and #2 then became the teacher to the next person. There
was never more than two at the iron and it worked great! I watched from
the sideline as I helped others with the project. I called it "teach
one-reach one". This originally came from some in-service class. I
also use it with other projects but this was hazardous-hot iron and
needed a careful, reinforced, controlled process. It works good when
students are all on different stages of an artwork-resists, glazing, etc.
Debby :-)

---