Re: Kinkade and Babb

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 07:42:50 PDT

Gee, now it just occurred to me that Fred Babb is just as commercial as
Kinkade. Why do we seem to like Babb and not Kinkade. I would venture to
say that it is because Babb sends positive messages about art, but Kinkade
is convincing the public (many of whom may be uneducated about art) that his
work is great art and we don't agree. Maybe those unused calenders could be
used to spark a conversation about what is and isn't great art and why?
Someone asked earlier why so many seem to dislike Kinkade? That is a good
question. From what I've read it seems to come down to dishonesty, greed,
and lack of creativity and personal expression. It gets confusing because
sometimes we teach from the standpoint that everything that is designed is
art. If that is the case and we discuss Kinkades work in a purely objective
way, do we still dislike it? By the way, I don't like his work, but I am
feeling philosophical this morning. One more tangent, are there artists that
we respect now who were disliked in their time for the same reasons we
dislike Kinkade?

Leah