Re: less time to compete projects?

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 06:26:34 PDT

Your Hispanic student is my Phillip. He would sneak in and just point to the cabinet where I kept the donated scrap paper. I've given him "sketchbooks" (wallpaper covers) for two years! He tells the other kids "Mrs. Cossin hooks me up". lol. I also had about 15 or so 8th graders come to eat lunch with me EVERY day for the entire year. It was my lunch too. Some would work, some would just relax. Some even wrote me letters this summer. I feel that's what I'm there for. :)

Deborah Bridges <dbb@elbertonga.com> wrote:Good for you! I have an open policy too! Lunch, before school, after school are always open for students to come in and work. I also give art materials away! I keep all the really old oil pastels bits and such stuff. Then I offer it to students who are really interested in art. I am in a very rural poor area even though it is about 20 minutes from Athens, Ga. (UGA). I am given so much mat board and foam core board from an area frame shop that I give much of it to students. I have one Hispanic, talented student who stops by constantly and gets "stuff". If I find a student with interest in art, I try to nurture that interest! I had a student who skipped lunch to come and work on art! He was sooooo gifted and eventualy etched artwork in granite here in my home town. Now, he's in the Army! Debby :-)

Jancy & Mike Cossin wrote:
I offer one day after school for "free tutoring or studio time" so all of the parents and kids know that I'll be in the room till 4:30 on that day. I often have groups come in just to draw and there is also no real excuse for not turning in work because time was given to them. My colleagues think this is stupid "because it's not in our contract to do that", but I think this time is extremely worthwhile and ignore them. I get to know my kids in a different light. I let them bring in a small snack, turn on the radio and get to work. They are comfortable and when they come into class they seem to want to work harder.
jancy