Re: Mike and drawing...

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 20:38:14 PDT

>> They overwhelm me. I'm a basket case as usual

Mike....go back over and re-read my posts on drawing.... I just did. Some of what I say is good stuff. My mail is coming in at all wacky different times (I just got those posts). My drawing post from earlier today just got here. I know part of what I say is right because I talked to KIDS and found out how THEY learn and asked them what they want to learn. My posts are Re: caring about drawing (Mike and all) and the other one is Re: caring about drawing. I did research on how kids learn....my research wasn't real "scientific" (I designed surveys with Likert scaling - I won't go into more here - paper was 65 pages long)...but I used those findings then to continue to find out more about my kids... I would just ASK THEM. If you missed reading those posts - I can send them to you off list. Let me ask you this Mike - If Betty "overwhelms" you - then what do you think all of that does for kids? I didn't finally get the last piece of the puzzle until about the last week I was at my school (and it was a very enjoyable moment for me - and that student knew she had taught me something). I think this was the "come back" I had to the Bunki/Patty post that I couldn't remember this morning.... One of my very good students was working on her grid drawing of her hero portrait. We were enlarging 5 x 7 photographs to 12 x 18 paper using a grid. She wasn't getting the proportion of the eye right. I asked her probably pointing to the photograph, too - "That isn't the way I see that. Do you want me to show you how I see it?"....and she said 'Not really"...and we both just laughed - we both "got it". She was a wonderful student - Very confident in her drawing when I had her in sixth grade. I didn't do realistic drawing with that class. Everything was more from their imagination. The rest of the class knew I had made a great discovery then, too, and that was my best day I had in class with students drawing. No one needed any help with anything....everyone was working their best....Most were using the grid and trying very hard to see block by block. When I came by another one that wasn't that kid just looked up and smiled and said "This is how I see it"

Mike, I just went upstairs to ask Matt how he learned to draw - I never taught him (We would do art together and he would just watch me). He wasn't ever able to get any of his work done in middle school because he was slow at drawing (his work always came home unfinished). He took art in high school (skipped Art I and went right to Art II on recommendation from a teacher - Art I wouldn't fit in his schedule). His teacher gave him confidence in drawing first by doing the grid approach (working from photos). Their observational drawing was turned into a cubist style work - started with a wooden mannequin and bottles. The entire year was drawing and painting. I have to be honest - the type of projects are very similar to ones I have done over the years with middle school age kids --- but you have to remember, his was an inner city school and they just don't get the art experiences that the county schools around here get. Get this - they did the radial design lesson! only they did it non-objective. I really like your insect and shells approach. I hope you try that.

I hope this gives you some encouragement.

Judy Decker

P.S. I know you folks get tired of Matthew stories - I just never get tired of telling them (smile).