Re: less time to compete projects?

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 20:08:15 PDT

Good for you! I have an open policy too! Lunch, before school, after
school are always open for students to come in and work. I also give
art materials away! I keep all the really old oil pastels bits and such
stuff. Then I offer it to students who are really interested in art. I
am in a very rural poor area even though it is about 20 minutes from
Athens, Ga. (UGA). I am given so much mat board and foam core board
from an area frame shop that I give much of it to students. I have one
Hispanic, talented student who stops by constantly and gets "stuff". If
I find a student with interest in art, I try to nurture that interest!
 I had a student who skipped lunch to come and work on art! He was
sooooo gifted and eventualy etched artwork in granite here in my home
town. Now, he's in the Army! Debby :-)

Jancy & Mike Cossin wrote:

> I offer one day after school for "free tutoring or studio time" so all
> of the parents and kids know that I'll be in the room till 4:30 on
> that day. I often have groups come in just to draw and there is also
> no real excuse for not turning in work because time was given to them.
> My colleagues think this is stupid "because it's not in our contract
> to do that", but I think this time is extremely worthwhile and ignore
> them. I get to know my kids in a different light. I let them bring in
> a small snack, turn on the radio and get to work. They are comfortable
> and when they come into class they seem to want to work harder.
> jancy

---