Re: what to do with absentees

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 18:49:18 PDT

Students helping students are great! I try to pair up friends--it seems
to help. I usually tell them that as soon as I can get everyone
working, I will come back to see if I'm needed. One-on-one is difficult
especially if I have the usual wide variety of students (from gifted to
special ed all in one class of 25 to 30) I use the "buddy" system when
I see students struggling during a project. I like to designate
helpers--it is great for students to be acknowledged that they are good
and can help someone else. I am constantly verbally pointing out little
things that students are doing really well and many times other students
will ask them to show them or help them with their project.
Debby :-)

Occasm@aol.com wrote:

> Okay it's the middle of summer and my mine is reeling. Airing out all
> of my problems from first year.
>
> What do list member do in m.s/j.h when kids miss key steps (illness
> and the dreaded music lesson pull-outs). Ohhhhhhhhh, this drove me
> nuts this year. I started off repeating demos many times, but then
> resorted to having kids teach kids. Then I felt guilty.
>
> mike sacco

---