Re: Kinkade :(

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 18:36:03 PDT

Great story Ken. You explained things so well. :)

Bicyclken@aol.com wrote:Most artists will work on a piece of art and get into the discovery of the style or application of the media and then move on to new things. I believe that Mr. Kincade is a method painter who has perfected this method and is now marketing that to the public. Original art is very expensive and by placing a few dabs of paint on a print it seems that he is duping the public. If you like his work that is fine with me. I also feel that artists who observe this fleecing of the public take offense at the use of deception and tricks as a way to sell art.

I have a friend and his wife who love his work and have three paintings. We were in Lake Tahoe and they insisted we stop in to the gallery. One of the sales people came up to us and started the spiel telling us to observe the light. They went to the wall and using a dimmer switch turned to light up and down showing us the light difference. They said that the light gets brighter with the increased light from above the painting. My friends ooohed and ahhhed at this and I finally said, "That's pretty silly if you think that the painting gets more light when you turn the light up and of course the painting will be lighter." Instead of showing the use of white and brighter colors to increase a feeling of light they simply turned a light on and off.

I have met the man and he is kind of full of himself. I was asked by someone standing next to him what I thought of his work. I said, " He's a method painter and if you like his method than I guess you like his work" she says to me, he is standing behind you! and I replied, "If he doesn't know he is a method painter I would be very surprised" He turned to me and smiled.

Ken Schwab

Art teacher, Leigh high school, San Jose, CA
website: Leigh Art ---