Re: caring about drawing....

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 17:18:28 PDT

> I think learning how to draw is a BASIC and T-E-A-C-H-A-B-L-E skill if
> approached step-by-step. If it's a teachable skill than that requires the
> teacher to be 110% involved step by step. If you give me a student who can

I agree 110% with Bunki here (I was involved at least 110% with my
students). I just found other ways for my students to be successful. I only
had them for 12 weeks and had all media to present in that twelve week time.
I think some students are just better able to learn observational drawing
skills at a later age. I had several students who were not able to get it in
middle school for me - or the 8th grade teacher. We allowed him to have
success drawing his way. His interest in art peaked when he went to high
school and he then learned how to draw then. If we failed him in middle
school because he was not able to meet our objectives - that student may not
have taken art in high school. He wasn't ready until high school (I think he
may have even taken several art classes in high school). I just didn't make
observational drawing that important in my curriculum - it was not a focus.
I had painting - printmaking - ceramics - sculpture to get in too in that
twelve week period (plus all of the art history/cultures, art criticism and
aesthetics issues). We tried observational drawing and moved on.

BTW - I was able to get students who were having trouble do observational
drawing when they came in after school and I could work with them one on
one.... I just didn't make it a requirement. There is so much more to art
than drawing. You have to remember, I was getting students who came to me
from a program where they used patterns much of the time. I know Bunki's
students come from a program where there is no elementary art - I wonder
which is better?

I guess I should have clarified what I said.....

Judy

---