Re: Doing artwork with students.....

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 15:51:38 PDT

Bunki and Judy, I like to try to do as many of the projects with the kids as
I can, because I want to pass on as much of the excitement and enthusiasm of
creating as I can!!! I can also use the "therapy" that creating gives me.
I love to let out that creative energy in order to pass on some ideas, and
also to get a chance to create. How are my kids going appreciate something
that they don't see me getting a "kick" out of? Sure some kids are
self-motivated...but others are not and tend to not always get too enthused
about the project. I always feel that I have to exhibit the proper amount
of enthusiasm when I explain the project to my students! It's like passing
along the thrill to others!!! I am an example of creativity, and I like to
think that I live up to that example in a positive manner. A professor of
mine in College was always saying that the teacher is encouraged to create
along with the kids. This particular professor was my favorite Art Ed
professor. I even try, at times to sit at the table with the kids when I
want to demonstrate something to them. I like to think that I can come down
to their level long enough to create with them and demonstrate right before
their very eyes!!! Teaching art is as much psychology as it is creating, in
my opinion...

Idus in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans going east)