Kinkade experiences

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 15:19:19 PDT

About a year ago I was asked to consider researching Kinkade and his artwork
for a potential resource for teachers. My response? Could I research and
write from the standpoint of what is NOT art? Obviously (and fortunately)
the project never got off the ground (at least not with me). I later found
out that Kinkade himself was the one who was seeking to take his work to
educators.

I am moving to Sedona in a few weeks and there is a Kinkade gallery there.
While my husband and I were strolling through the touristy area, I overheard
window shoppers gawking at Kinkade's "gorgeous" work. What a sad commentary
about our society's understanding of art. My goodness, if these window
shoppers' misdirected aesthetics aren't enough to justify keeping the visual
arts in the curriculum, nothing is.

And on a final note, my son (also an artist who has the same dry humor as
his mom) manages a used book store that frequently carries Kinkade calendars
and books. Of course, you know what Josh always gives to his mom at
Christmas!

Pam

---