Re: caring about drawing....

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 15:08:38 PDT

Just my two cents- I'm totally with Bunki, and although I'm really not in the mood to write emails right now, I feel like I should chime in to let her know that I agree. Many times I've become frustrated with a lesson because kids didn't "get it" and I would either "dumb it down" or abandon it because I felt like I had to work harder to get it across to them and I didn't feel confident enough to do it. Finally I decided to think about what was important for me to teach as an art teacher: what do I need to do to do my job the best I can? If I don't know much about the media (like printmaking)- I find a way to learn! If I don't know how to teach it, I keep doing it until I get it right! I hate teaching printmaking but I do it every quarter with 6th grade and every semester with 7th and 8th-because I believe I owe it to them to introduce the concepts and media! I also used to be incredibly intimidated by teaching drawing even though I knew I could do it myself. Now I have a system, and
 I get great results if I do say so myself! I have a goal to make my kids like printmaking and be successful at it even though I have never accomplished those goals for myself.

Jayna