Re: Mandalas - Name Mandalas

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 15:08:59 PDT

Neat idea, Jan. Here is a lesson that is good for those of you who are
shying away from doing the mandala because of religious beliefs. Here is a
mandala that is about dreams, hopes, heroes, principles....
http://www.teachervision.com/lesson-plans/lesson-6041.html
We just did this as a one class period assignment -- to get the students to
think about themselves. Your major art project could then be the earth
mandala - radial design - not art making of a religious art. This mandala
lesson was HIGHLY successful. All the students had to do was "do it". I
graded on whether or not it was complete - not the words or images chosen. I
did this at the beginning of each trimester. I told the students if they
took the paper home and it brought up any questions with their parents to
talk it over with them and get their ideas to add - then if there was any
problem, to call me). The students all said they liked doing it....I had no
problems. I am lucky, philosophy of religion was a topic of conversation in
my home growing up - I told my students this, too.

IAD has two mandala projects on the site - One is Radial Design (middle
school lessons) the other is Linda Wood's Mandala Design (on elementary
lessons).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Larry-radial.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/linda-mandala.htm

Linda's would also be a good one for tying Islamic beliefs - as her project
is reminiscent of Islamic Circle designs.

I would like to hear about other projects you folks have done using the
child's name. I will add a page to the site - or add onto the "About Me"
page.

Thanks for ignoring my typos in my earlier mesages today (smile). I was just
moving too fast.

From: "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org>
Subject: RE: Name molas - make their name important

> Day b4 'Winter Holiday" was nuts 2 yrs ago, so I got out black paper,
metallic colored pencils and circle templates (watercolor pans). Reminded
them of symmetry, reverse and flip, and had them make 4 piece mandalas using
their names and symbols that were important to them. The class actually
held it together and made some lovely pieces.
> Jan

---