Re: caring about drawing....(Kinkade:(

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 09:16:16 PDT

It isn't the representational aspect of it that gets such a bad reaction from me- sorry everyone. Sometimes things fly out of the mouth quickly and I'm a straighforward person- it's just that my beliefs of what art is are different. I don't begrudge the man for making money. He has marketing skills.
I just believe that art, and life, is a constant process of growth. Self exploration, exploration of the world around us, ever challenging ourselves to do new things and learn something different. His formula hasn't changed in decades. They are made in a factory where assembly line artists paint "his" work. And I know that someone will bring up that were apprentice systems with master painters.............but this is a different day and age and Leonardo's work wasn't mass produced to be in every Kmart in the country.
I just give the act of creation a good deal of credit, whether it be realistic works, abstract, etc.
Did I explain myself or am I rambling out of passion again? lol.
jancy
KSchiavo00@aol.com wrote:
Linda and others...
I do not own a Kincade but have seen his work and am curious on why you feel the way you do about his work. Several times now I have read posts "dissing" his work. Is it his commercial processed prints he passes off as finished art you detest or the way he is able to manipulate the public eye through his expert marketing campaigns. From what I have seen -he is able to capture a dream like vision of a landscape that most would love to escape to. His compositions and color schemes are very pleasing- his technique is well skillled and his ability to create that light thing he does (although a "gotcha" gimmic) is very cool. Is it wrong for an artist to capitalize on an idea through mass production and effective "expert" marketing? Students and I often have conversations such as this regarding "real art" I am curious.
Kathy in Kalamazoo ---