Re: what to do with absentees

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 08:35:22 PDT

That is so difficult. At our school, kids would ONLY get pulled from art, gym and music, so we had to deal with a large number of pulls. One student a few years ago had missed a number of days for this reason. I finally wrote a pass during THEIR class time for them to come make up all of the art they had missed. They were never pulled again. lol.

dawn stien <dawnstien@yahoo.com> wrote:Mike -

Air away!!
I lost students twice a week for "tutoring" (send 'em
all to one room to do some more worksheets on what
they didn't get the first time...)

Upon return, I did have students present the info to
their peers, or if there was a large group gone, I
just got the first group to work and then redid the
demo.

Harry Wong recommends a absentee manager to explain
and put notes in an absentee folder with the
assignments for individuals who were out. It is not
an effective use of your time to handle this.
-----
On the flip side:

I had a student show up after being gone until the
last day of a project, so I gave him an alternate
assignment. He did it, and then asked me if I had the
material to do the project so he could do it at home.
I told hime not to worry about it, we'd be starting
something new on Monday...Monday comes and he shows up
with the project! Did he care about the grade? No.
Did he take home the project? No. He just wanted to do
it!

I felt a little bad for having brushed off his
request, but was so excited at his determination.

Also,
I hated loosing students, but when it came time to
prepare for the 8 minute interview for state
competition and I needed some extra time for students
to work, I pulled them from gym. I requested politly,
I should say. The coaches were very accomodating.
Especially regarding 2 of them...

Look forward to hearing some other ways of handling
this problem. I had them 18 weeks, and moved very
fast; I'm sure with only ten you hate to loose a
single minute.

Dawn