Re: caring about drawing....

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 07:53:49 PDT

caring about drawing....LOL at me....I had a great come back to this when I
woke up this morning....but I read everyone elses' mail first and now I can
not remember what I was going to say..... Bunki and Patty are both right. I
KNOW that.....so.....here is help for you in defining your own philosophy on
how you deal with kids when it comes to drawing (Mike this is for you - your
answer to the offlist message from you). If a student is trying to draw
realistically and just doesn't see it the way you do.... If the child sees
things differently---THEN that child also views drawing the same way Patty
does (and she is BRILLIANT - her school even said so).....AND if a child is
doing observational drawing and gets it, then that child views drawing the
same way Bunki does (and I HAVE NEVER known Bunki to be wrong -- smile).
Here is how I handled it..... I found an artist who also drew the same why
the child did and showed those works to the child who wasn't getting
observational drawing. (Dubuffet and Picasso are both good - Doesn't matter
whether or not the kid knows those artists also drew realistically - I have
another one to share -see links below)
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/dubuffet_jean.html

Mike - you just might have a bunch of Pattys in your class - so appreciate
them.....and slowly work to get them to see your way....but be happy they
are WORKING for you.
I am just having so much fun talking with all of you who think the way I
do.... I will get back working soon.

>>>It's what THEY want.

True....but why?

Teach the four theories of Aesthetics...There are four Aesthetic view points
of view....Some of your kiddies just have a different "Aesthetic view " than
you do.
Art as Imitation - Art as Expression - Art as Functional - Art as Formal
Order Students can then be proud of the way they see things.

How will they they find their style if we don't let them develop that?
Expressionism -- Realism -- Abstraction -- Fantasy (these are the four
general style categories used by art experts - so listen to them). Students
who see things differently can be proud they have developed a different
style at such an early age --when our culture focuses so much attention on
Realism.

Mike, I hope this has helped to shape your philosophy. I used a lot of
abstract art in my curriculum (from various cultures) because it was
something all of my kids could do and be successful.

Terrific Tuesday,

Judy

Louise Bourgeois: Drawings (check these out - I can't remember everything
that is there)
An exhibition organized by the
University Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
University of California, Berkeley
http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/bourgeois/
landcapes -lines
http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/bourgeois/lbpage17.html