RE: instruction sheets or postings/middle school

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 07:39:34 PDT

At times I have put steps on a loop powerpoint in the room and the do look at that. I type out few words and put a picture of someone doing it on there as well.
jancy

Alix Peshette <apeshet@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi Mike,
Good topic!! In the name of teaching to all the learning modalities; I do both demos and step-by-step instructions. Granted, I'm teaching computer graphics and the technical steps are pretty easy to document.

I too find that the kids DON"T want to read the material; it's just so much easier for them to demand that I show each and everyone of them, one-at-a-time, how to do each step! (note heavy sarcasm here!)

However, I've put the instructions into steps and numbers and demanded that if they can't do something, they MUST tell me what step and number they are on. This has helped. Also, as I demo something, I will say, "OK, we are now on step 7C." Sometimes I will take a complex set of instructions and break them up into one day blocks and just do that much, making sure that everyone is up to that point before proceeding on the next day.

The best reason to do the step-by-step instructions for me is that I am compiling a book of our assignments. There is a book of instructions sitting next to each computer in my room. When a kid is stuck, I will say "Get out the computer book and read the instructions first, then I will help you!"

I also will put the rubric for each assignment in the books and then make it a short lesson, by having everyone pull out the books and check their work so far for fulfilling the requirements for a good grade. These books are just cheap heavy-weight vinyl 1" ring binders in ugly colors so that no one will steal them. The lessons are in plastic sheet protectors. This allows me to up-date assignments at will. I put an up-date notation at the top of all my instructions so that I can keep the versions straight.

Also, for those kids who are absent and need the instructions, having them written up and posted on our computer science website is REALLY helpful. I have also e-mailed the instructions home to kids and parents so that something can be started or completed at home.

Yes, writing the instructions is tedious for me; but then I am a visual learner and hands-on demos is how I learn. But, for people who need written instructions, I'm willing to do the work to create them.

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA