This is what I read...

---------

From: Tracey Collier (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 23:37:30 PDT

Hi Gang

Some of the time I read a newspaper headline or report and sometimes
from a book. Usually the scenario involved a situation that required a
reaction. How the reaction was handled became the theme of the piece
that needed to be done (btw cartoon strips worked very well for this)

Example 1:
" Sneaking into town had seemed like such a good idea. Now Thandi and
Susan were not so sure. All around them were angry grownups talking
loudly and waving their arms. Outside the bar a fight broke out as they
were walking past.

When they were planning their trip it al seemed so easy. Hearing
everyone talking about the strike and what they were going to do about
it seemed so exciting, but now it just felt scary.

Worst of all, there was no sign of the bus to take them back home to the
quiet and safety of the farm."

Q: What do the girls do to get home?

Example 2:
"Apparently the trouble started over Mr. Smiths dog that regularly
fouled Mr. Browns lawn. When Mr. Brown finally decided he had had
enough, he decided to do something about it."

Q: What do you think Mr. Brown did?

Most of the examples I have are very culture specific but I am sure you
get the drift.

Regards

Tracey in Durban, South Africa

---