less time to compete projects?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 21:05:37 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: Occasm@aol.com
I don't know Bunki,
I only got to three projects a quarter (10 weeks). Kids being absent,
lesson, concerts, plays, yada ya)
Maybe I'm giving them too much time to complete projects.
mike sacco ---
****************

Hi, Mike. Thanks for responding quickly. I was hoping you weren't taking
something I said incorrectly. After sending it, I re-read it and it sounded
"snippy" and it wasn't intended as such. I was frustrated because I didn't
know how to answer that question. I know that first teaching year it's hard
to tackle EVERYTHING! at once.

I have the same above problems as you do...like it's stacked against us.
Absence we can't do anything about but I do have it posted in my first-day
policy handout which parent and child sign stating they are responsible to
have finished work in on time and state the times I'm available to help them
catch up...early in the morn or lunchtime. Sometimes I'll let individuals
slip in during other classes to work alone. Most DO care about finishing the
projects though not ALL.

Maybe it would be a goal this year to set completion days for them somewhat
tighter. Try it. When you see most of the kids getting near a finishing
point, give all a day or two more and call it quits. There will be laggers
whatEVER amout of time you give them. Set the tone for the general masses to
finish. Set a tight ship when you know you have only a few days at sea...so
to speak.

I'm through tonight sounding like a "know it all". Sweet dreams.
Toodles....Bunki

---