Re: observational drawing-j.h/middle school

---------

From: Jerry & Mary B (gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 20:34:54 PDT

What is the fear about? Well for middle school kids it is not much
different than adults-they don't want to look stupid or like they do not
know what they are doing. Only for middle school kids it is a big deal
about how they look in front of their peers. Their self- esteem is so
sensitive at this time of their lives.
I think the approaches suggested are great except that even in steps, we
have to think , to whom are these steps making sense? In thinking about
learning styles, we need to remember how we approach the kids in
"hooking " them and helping them to "get"it. This is one of those
situations I wish the public could see how challenging our jobs are!
You are right about this age being so stuck on things looking real.
Drives me nuts at times. So I like to do a number of lessons that
involve design and choices. I only have them for 27 days , and middle
school may be their last art experience, so I like to keep that success
rate as high as possible.
So many ideas and thoughts-
Bottom line is if you find something that works for you - go with it!
MaryB

Patricia Knott wrote:

> What is the fear of drawing all about?
> Patty