Re: observational drawing-j.h/middle school

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 20:07:11 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
 Danville, CA 94526
From: Occasm@aol.com
I started with some betty edwards exercise then explained and demoed contour
of a snearker which I then gave them as homework. In later assignments I had
them draw tools and other everyday objects. the final one was always their
hand. I never got into shading, because i didn't want to overwhelm them. I
only have 10 weeks with them.

You can cover ALOT in 10 weeks. My drawing unit I discussed earlier is with
a 9-week 7th grade rotational class. In that time we do a name lesson, I
folder cover, a line unit with watercolor, 2 drawing exercises, 2 shading
exercises, a full 2-week drawing unit, a tempera painting unit, a small
weaving unit and a colored pencil unit. This was my basic plan with
substitutions along the way to keep it lively for ME. The exercises took
little time as did the name lesson. The folder cover was used as a ongoing
lesson to do when they finished a unit early.

Now that you have your first year down, you have a better feel for how long
your units might take...what you can eliminate the next time, what you'll be
wanting to add, some new ideas you might want to try, and what you think is
important for them to learn for the coming year....sequentially. Setting up
a time table does get easier every year you teach. Toodles.....Bunki

---