Re: observational drawing-j.h/middle school

---------

Occasm_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 20:18:22 PDT

In a message dated 7/21/2003 11:05:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pknott@enter.net writes:

> I'm not sure I care about drawing anymore but I always care about
> observing

Patty,
interesting point. I'm currently taking a Contemporary art history class that
meets every week in galleries and museums in NYC. Most of what's being done
in postmodern art has little to with traditional drawing. The key is
observation. And I'm pretty sure you mean you don't care about r"ealistic drawing"
anymore. I feel the same way. That is, until I'm in the classroom and they're
struggling to make something look the "way it supposed to look".
    It's not just them. Ask any layman what their idea of good art is. It's
almost always about realism. My professor and I were talking about this last
week. The idea of educating the masses to understand what we are talking about
is daunting.

mike sacco

---