Re: observational drawing-j.h/middle school

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 19:39:01 PDT

Bunki says
> At this middle school age this is what they really want to know how to
> do...draw correctly. The biggest hurdle I find is not the actually
> experience...it's getting them into the right mind frame beforehand to accept
> that it's a teachable skill. Saying "I can't" is a WHOLE lot easier than
> saying "I'll try".

Thank you Bunki for confirming what I said the other day about the middle
school years as crucial in the development . This is a time when they
really want to make it look real and I'm afraid we loose a lot of them
during this time. They get so frustrated and the only way is as Bunki said
'step by step."

I think you need to consider the subject matter -- offer something they
will be interested in drawing or ask them to contribute objects to draw
(who cares how stupid the objects are if they want to draw them)
Establish a wanting to draw first.

I've read dozens of drawing "how to's" and most of them start with line. I
find line incredibly sophisticated. I prefer to start with form, volume and
mass. I like to have my kids create simple sculptures and then draw them.
They feel the form and mass first they make a connection they own it
then the translation to 2-D if they know how to feel it the seeing
gets easier..

Bunki offers some great advice "getting them into the right mind frame
beforehand " and trying to alleviate fear step by step

I wish we could get past making things look "real." I much prefer cockeyed
perceptions and I'm beginning to believe we can bypass all the traditions to
get to the new. I'm very confused as to where art is going and I think it is
well time to get beyond locking kids into thinking they have to be able to
draw in order to be artists. Observation can be achieved in many ways and if
our standards are based on 500 year old Renaissance ideals I think we all
have a lot to think about. I'm not sure I care about drawing anymore but
I always care about observing

What is the fear of drawing all about?
Patty

---