Name molas - make their name important

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 20:03:05 PDT

I posted a suggestion to the lists for projects using names... Ellen posted
this idea to Art Education. I am passing it on to you.
I am going to be watching for projects you do using the students" names and
portraits and will ask you for images when you have them to send to a
special page of art projects "about me". That is a good place to get kids to
start finding meaning in their art.....and it is so easy to do ....all kids
can do it. (Ellen this is FYI - I shared it with every one).Name molas could
go for many grade levels. Ellen, When you have some time - send some other
ideas using names. I will repost thess ideas again when more teachers are
listening (if questions come up for easy projects).

From Ellen:

A couple of years ago I started the year off with name projects for
grades, 4th - 8th. The 8th grade did name molas. First they folded a
paper lengthwise and wrote their name in cursive on the folded side.
Then they went over their name to make their letters thick. I
emphasized that their letters had to go off the page on the fold so when
they cut them out they would have the mirror image of their name cut out
also and attached. This pattern part was the same for several other of
the name related projects, 6th grade did African mask inspired name
project and 4th grade did insects using their name in this pattern.

    Then using their name pattern, they choose three pieces of
construction paper in different colors. They kept one of the colors for
the background. They folded the other two papers lengthwise and using
their pattern cut them out. They were instructed to keep both the
positive and negative areas of these construction papers. Then they took
one of the paper's negative or the area around the name and enlarged the
area trimming around the shape, taking off about a quarter of an inch.
The positive side, the part with the writing they trimmed also making it
smaller. They then arrange their cut out pieces of their names on the
paper used for the background, cutting into the negative areas of the
paper to make designs around it.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department