Re: Art and Phys Ed.

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 19:45:37 PDT

Here's an idea which was fun for students: It certainly can be with P.E.
We looked at Jackson Pollack's artwork. There are pictures of him
working on the internet. I divided the students into four
groups. I placed very large sheets of paper about the length of a room
(we were outside) in a row. Tempera paints were put in squeeze
bottles. They were placed on trays infront of each group.Have at least
four or five colors! At GO the first student chooses a color and runs
down to the paper, squirts the paint onto the picture, and runs back and
places the paint back upright on the tray and tags the next. The next
person choses another color and repeats the steps. All students must go
one time. The first team wins 5 points, second wins 4, third gets 3,
fourth gets 2. Next, the paintings are allowed to dry. Judges choose
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. (No names on the paintings) Points again
are given out. The highest points win a blue ribbon and is displayed.
 Students had fun! Rules included no paint on shoes, etc. You may
adapt this in anyway you like! You may add points for other categories,
too. This was middle school and we did not have any problem with messy
clothes, etc. They took time to "paint" their picture and not just
squirt paint since they understood that they would be judged as finished
art, too. I also sent home a note and told students to dress
appropriately--bring old clothes if they wished.
Debby :-D

---