Re: Doing artwork with students.....

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 18:40:01 PDT

I always have examples--either mine or students. And sometimes stages
if it will help them.
I also work on the projects during class with them if time allows, too.
 I have even worked on a high school project during the middle school's
studio time and found students very interested. I always would tell
them, "I need ya'll (southern term) to work on your projects and let me
work on mine, too!" Usually, they are positive with their responses. I
encourage students to display their ongoing projects in a designated
area--it helps others to see "how to" and gives a boost to the ego!
 High School students especially like to hear about others looking at
their work! I fimd that the more I can show students' artwork, the
better they behave! A direct correlation! (I teach three middle school
classes and three high school classes--the artroom is in the admin. and
cafeteria wing which connects the two schools.) I have bulletinboards
(not enough) in the hallways to display artwork. I also have a
"Wall-Of-Fame". This is a favorite for everyone! I take a picture of
each class with my digital camera, and then each student draws a full
figure cut-out of him/herself. These signed cutouts are glued around
the photo on matboard and plexiglass and hung outside the artroom. All
year students stop and look at the additional classes and discuss the
pictures.
Debby :-)

---