Re: instruction sheets or postings/middle school

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 18:12:22 PDT

Over the years I have tried everything imaginable and am always open to
other ideas! This past year I tried something new! Or something old!?
 It's called bribery! I gave out the handout/instructions which was to
be kept in their sketchbooks that we had previously made. Then during
the project, I would give out prizes to students who had out their
sketchbook. I make a big to do, asking someone for a number, then I
would see whose name corresponded in the grade book. Then I would go
over and see if he/she had out the instructions. WINNER!? Believe me!
What kids will do for a little piece of candy! Or an extra bathroom
pass! After the first prize, nearly every student would have out their
instructions each day! I also always posted the project in the room and
would point if anyone forgot what to do. I also kept problems at a
minimum by asking questions and tossing candy over to the one who knew
the answer. They loved it!! I even had the high school students
answering questions with the candy-tossed rewards. They like to then
eat their prize in front of everyone. We are allowed to give candy, some
schools may frown on this. The sketchbooks were taken up at
mid-nine-weeks and at the end of the nine weeks. I have also had
students check off the steps and turn in their sheet at the end of the
project for extra credit.
Debby :-)

Occasm@aol.com wrote:

> Okay here's another topic I have to ask about.
>

> How many m.s/j.h. teachers use instruction sheets or post steps in the
> classroom. I did it once (posted steps) during this my first year and
> then stopped until my very last lesson where I gave out a step by step
> sheet at the start. Of course they never referred to it and asked me
> repeatedly when they should have been referrring to the sheet.
> The rest of the year I just demoed the next step when most of the
> class was ready. Let the input roll, I need help with this
>
> mike sacco
> p.j. gelians jhs ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---