Heroes and "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 14:53:03 PDT

Who are your Heroes? and Why? Here is a quote about one of my heroes:
Definition of a hero - by Bruce Marchiano

"Consistently, he spoke truth against a sea of opposition. Shockingly, he
lived fully in his personal life exactly what he preached in public. Time
after time, he stood heroically alone for what was right, regardless of what
it might cost him. Without hesitation, he went out of his way to care for
the most objectionable people of society, never turning a hungry soul away,
always taking time to love an unlovable or care for an uncareable, knowing
he would suffer ridicule and rejection for it. Humbly and openly, he
marched across cultural barriers, decrying centuries of racist arrogance.
Never a respecter of persons, unconcerned with status, wealth, gender, or
popularity, he stood, champion and friend of the 'little guy.' And for all
this and more, he constantly took it on the chin, keeping his mouth shut,
his face set like flint, eyes riveted on his greater cause and mission. ...

"Picture him storming in against overwhelming opposition, giving his literal
all-his very life-to rescue the helpless, the widowed, the orphaned, the
crushed, the rejected, the despised. I don't know about you, but in my
book, that's the living definition of 'hero.' " by Bruce Marchiano

Now I know very well no one can be this good...no one can do what this man
did....but it did give the kids an idea of some of the qualities I look for
in my Heroes. I picked some of these quality when I did my Heroes projects
with the kids. The students had to do a research project on an "important
person" - so I tapped into that in my art classes first and second trimester
(they turned their research projects in before third trimester). I did my
heroes project on my Great-great grandfather first trimester and my great
grandfather second trimester. Sometime I will share a story - but I have
said enough (I will tell the story off list Jdecker@woh.rr.com)

My students came up with a list of words to help define their hero. Here is
what they came up with. I would like to add on to this list. I will revisit
this later - we have a lesson plan coming.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/heroword.htm

Here is my hero worksheet (I see some of the formatting is off a bit):

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/heroes2.htm

Now here is the "Challenge" for everyone.... I like the title of the book
that LeAnn posted - "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". She doesn't
have time to give us the high points on what those habits are. I was
wondering if we could come up with seven habits ourselves that we could
share with our kids?....Maybe we can even come up with more than seven
haibts. Post these habits in your rooms? Sometime, I'll check the library to
see if I can find the book.

As you can see folks...Character Education is one of my passions. I will
talk to you more later about another passion of mine.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/