Doing artwork with students.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 13:39:32 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Judy Decker" <jdecker@woh.rr.com>
> I do sample projects sometimes to give kids creative approaches to
> problem solving, show how different media can look together, work
> through the process before they do so as to anticipate what their
> problems might be. In addition to that, it's just plain fun!

>>> I hide my examples after the introduction and they are not allowed to
>>> copy.

> Now I learned a lesson -- See if another list member gives a similar
> message.
*******************************

Don't "learn" this lesson, Judy. I'm with you and Ken. I make one/two
samples of everything new I teach for the same reason...to figure the nuts
and bolts of how I want to introduce the steps.

I put up on the cabinet doors previous student examples and/or my examples
for pre-enticement (as a LURE or HOOK), motivation, and expectation. My own
classroom work samples go unfinished on purpose to break down steps as I use
them for demoing.

Funny as it may sound, I've NEVER had anyone "copy" the examples in all the
years I've taught. Middle school kids just seem to NOT want to do
that...peer pressure thing, I guess. It really wouldn't bother me a whole
lot anyway because I'm interested in the learning of "process" with media.
After ALL, they're not going into the marketplace to sell their middle
school artwork. "Copying" is not a bad word in my dictionary. We all
"copied" when we learned how to write and heaven knows we ALL write
differently in the end. It's how you learn your "style".

Most importantly...I feel my working on a class project oftentimes validates
to the students what they are doing. Doing a bit of the next project while
they are working lures them into what's coming next. It's that exciting,
anticipatory thing. My answer is always "Maybe" which starts them into a
flurry of.."Guess what we MIGHT get to do next, guys? It's cool!"

We're always tryin' to stay one step ahead of them, right? Toodles.....Bunki

---