Texas conference; if you want to attend from out of state

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 07:25:39 PDT

Several people have emailed me asking if out-of-state art teachers are
allowed to attend the Texas conference in November. The answer: Certainly!
We'd love to have you. (Actually ... THEY would love to have you. I am
moving to Arizona and will be a guest myself ).

If you are a member of another state association, you may attend the Texas
conference by paying the conference registration fee. I don't believe that
you have to also join TAEA; but I will double check that.

Texas is one of the largest art associations in the country. We have about
2,000 members and anticipate that about 1,500 will attend the conference
this year.

For those of you who are serious about attending, send to my personal email
address your physical address. I will make sure that you received a
pre-conference newsletter that includes all the details of every workshop,
how to pre-register for the conference, how to book discounted hotel rates
and how to reserve a discounted flight.

Pam

HIGHLIGHTS
Workshops and other events start on Friday November 7 and continue through
noon Sunday November 9. The conference is at the Fairmont Hotel in the
Dallas Arts District.

Speakers are Jesus Moroles (Friday), William Cochran (Saturday), Fred Babb
(Sunday). Super Sessions are Guerrilla Girls (Saturday) and our own Nancy
Walkup who will be bringing students to present Living Paintings (Saturday).
All free of charge.

Jim McNeill will be giving a technology workshop that teaches how to use
Power Point as an animation tool. This will be a half-day program in a
local computer lab. Transportation fee of $20, Friday morning.

The Trammell Crow Collection of Asian Art has six tours scheduled for
Friday. Free.

The Meyerson Symphony Center has two tours of their I.M. Pei building (One
Friday, one Saturday). Free.

The Dallas Museum of Art has tours scheduled from noon until 3:00 Saturday
(three different tours per hour plus a technology workshop that explores
their online resources for teachers). Admission, $3. Admission is good for
the entire day of the tour.

If you arrive for the conference on Thursday, the DMA has free admission
after 5:00, jazz in the atrium and sketching in the galleries ... free.

The Nasher Sculpture Center will be newly opened and is giving free
admission to conference participants. For those of you who attended NAEA in
NYC, Raymond Nasher presented an overview of his impressive art collection.
The Sculpture Center promises to be a new jewel in the North Texas art
crown.

All of the Fort Worth museums are presenting workshops on site at the
hotel.. All are free of charge.

After Fred speaks on Sunday, there are quite a few excellent workshops to
attend (some free, some with small fees): making a pinhole camera (you'll
make a camera to take with you), learning to use video in the classroom
(from KERA - the local PBS station -- you'll get a Matisse & Picasso teacher
packet and video; free) , the art of Japan and the Fulbright Program (small
fee to work with brush and ink), Jim McNeill presents "Dropping in on
Rousseau" (screening of the video, q & a how the animated project came about
and was produced; free) and a lost wax casting workshop ("how-to" that will
provide a CD to take with you) ... these are the ones I remember. There are
more. All worth staying to attend.

---