Sometimes ya have to have "Just Do it" art

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 04:53:31 PDT

Good Morning,

I looked at all of Sara's string art links last night...and honesty I
thought to myself that this is not what I want to do in art class...But I
would have LOVED to have done it in math class.
Since I was a good student and wanted to please my teacher, I would have
done the lesson in art - but I would have had to find some way to make it
fun for me....Well, this morning I woke with the "fun" - It makes me think
of a spider's web....which makes me think of the Web....and then the song
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" popped into my head....Which made me think of the way I
made the Web fun for me at school..... I bought a huge Halloween spider to
hang over my computer with the middle school web page address attached --
and it made me think of all of the character qualities I "inherited" from my
mother (whose maiden name was Webb)....When my mother had it in her head to
do something she "just did it"....No matter what time of day....When she had
a job to do she just did it (except for cleaning house....she hated that
too). I am going to list some of the traits my mother gave to me.

TRUTHFUL - PERSEVERANCE - CHARITABLE - EXCELLENCE

Those are just a few....Back to the "Just Do It"....If you find a kid that
isn't into your assignment, talk to him or her and find a way to get them to
"just do it"..."How can we make this fun for you?". I had one student who
was very talented who just wasn't into the Ohio Surrealism project. I have a
pretty good idea it was because I didn't do my sample that I was so excited
about. I got them going by telling them all the things I was going to add or
do to my drawing. I think he just lost interest. I did get him going and he
did get the project done and he did meet all of my expectations - it just
wasn't up to his ability level. He did really take off on the next
assignment we did. My student work always turned out the best when I was
doing the project right along with them.... It is long story why I couldn't
get my sample done so I won't go into that (but it all has to do with
balance - and time - and there was so much I HAD to do in order to be ready
for the kids that some of the things I used to do I just no longer had time
for)

Add to this list of Hero Words. My students all cam up with these:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/heroword.htm

Character Education - JUST DO IT - and do it everyday. If you can find a way
for them to be thankful for their mothers then you have been successful
(smile). Now I know that some children do not live with their mothers....
but you know what I mean (mothers give us our conscience). Get them to
listen to you now -- because when they get older it is just too late.
I loved reading about Ken's success story with a high school student....
That is a much harder age to work with.

BTW - I will be linking up some of the string art links to my
Art-Math-Science page (but not all of them).
If you ever need the rest of them - you know who to "call".

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. My Hallowen spider is one of the things I took out of my room right
away. I was given a short time after school one day to come in get a few of
my things that were most important to me...That spider was FAMILY and there
was no way I wasleaving that spider there (smile).

---