A quote worth repeating

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 21:57:13 PDT

My last post for tonight....

Deborah posted this to Getty list

"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once."

Believe this with your students.....They will continue to make mistakes that
are "fun"....They will continue to do those things that "get you". If you
don't let them "get you" then it is no longer fun and they don't do those
things again. Have meaningful consequences. Yes, I had a rule that they
always had to have a pencil in class -- but if they forgot it it was no big
deal....I gave them one -- BUT they had to tell me something they were
thankful for (Survival Kit -Pencil - Count Your Blessings). And of course
when they said their mother - I told them that was a good one....and said
"me too" (that mother had done a good job). I don't think I had any pencils
broken in my classroom once I started doing this and most of them returned
the pencil at the end of the class. Kids act up because it is FUN.....You
need to find ways for them to have fun without disrupting your class when it
is time to be working.

Gum chewing was an automatic minor misconduct in my class since we were a NO
GUM school - If I caught one of my students chewing gum - we stuck it up on
a poster and put their name by it...That way we always had their gum in the
room (Gum- Believe in yourself)...If they were caught a second time - we
stuck it up there too.... and I would say "That is two minor misconducts.
You better be real good now the rest of trimester because what your mother
think if I had to turn your name into the office for gum chewing. Is she
going to want to come pick you up from a Tuesday Thursday School just
because you were chewing gum? Is that fair to her?" Minor Misconducts were
just that in my class....they were minor. If they ended up getting three
which would mean an office referral I would call the parents and tell them
the student had a choice. Either serve a detention with me for one hour - or
serve a Tuesday Thursday School for two hours. The majority of the parents
wanted their child to serve the detention with me (kid would do some
cleaning duties for me then we would work on his/her homework...parents were
VERY appreciative). Usually, I was able to get a kid to behave just by
telling them privately "You have two minor misconducts now - you know what
it means when you get three". I really didn't count the times they forgot
their pencils though.

Good night all,

Judy