String art - try it - IT WORKS (some sites to explore)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 17:57:05 PDT

Who would believe that string art could motivate students to do art (and
math)? A math teacher in my school (who isn't there anymore BTW - she
couldn't handle the garbage that was going on) did string art with her 7th
graders - and they were all wonderful - She displayed all of them in the
hall. I stopped and told her how much I admired the work and talked with her
a little about the math connections (but I can not remember now). I am sure
it probably had something to do with graphing or something. Anyways.....Sara
my "Art Surfing Elf" has been very busy today. She found a bunch of sites
and I am passing them on to you.

Here is Sara's message(edited slightly) -- She has a plna that I am certainl
she will share when she has time:

Here are some great sites I found on TrackStar an educational lesson plan/
site.

One can get some great stuff there.

I will be happy to share some string work I did with students ( 6, 7, 8
grade) who had low confidence and abillities.

But will have to wait till I get back from vacation in 9-10 days.
It is still packed in moving boxes. I have to find 3 different boxes.I will
look for them when I return.

If you have any questions, I will try to share what I know.

One thing I will tell you now, that working with color mat board, and push
pins to make holes was more successful than using board and nails for their
own design final project.

But the below sites show different levels and are really informative.

Sara

http://www.teachersnetwork.org/dcs/math/stringart/StringArt_TeacherNotes_fil
es/index.htm

 http://seed.mainecenter.org/application/search.cfm

 http://www.justmousingaround.com/tutorials/stringart/stringtut.html

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/9155/index2/

 http://www.mathcats.com/crafts/stringart.html

http://www.caron-net.com/kidfiles/kidsjuly.html

 http://www.childs.mccsc.edu/art98/art2p1.htm

Now....back to Judy...another list member also posted how string art was
used to make a map of the United States:
With lines radiating from their own state capital to the borders of the USA.
I read that one but didn't download it so I can't give you the exact words.
(I use Mailwasher to read my mail -- works great! Now I only download the
ones I want to reply to-- Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/ )

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department