Re: Graphic Design

---------

From: Deb M. (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 10:00:03 PDT

Well, I treat this class totally differently than my other "fine art"
classes. In this class, using clipart and tracing are Ok because that is
what graphic designers do in the real world. We focus on the elements and
principles of design as they apply to commercial art (there is a great book,
but I can't remember the name of it, its at school) and the kids can use
whatever resources they can find to achieve the objectives of the
design/assignment. I really make it clear that this is only for this class
tho. And they can't use tracing or clipart as a crutch, it really has to
suit the concept of what they are designing, so I don't think they ever feel
like they're cheating. Of course, some students with a strong base of
skills will do all their own drawings.