Someday I'll Be the Artist Formerly Known as Starving

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 08:49:02 PDT

Thanks for this Fred Babb quote! Eileen posted it to the Getty list -it is a
Good one!

How can we fix this? All of our children are not going to be great
artists - we know that. BUT they all can be great at appreciating art.
My passion was showing kids the value in art. I did it all the time. When I
took my art pieces in I would tell them the ones people wanted to buy - but
I wouldn't sell because of the value they had to me. They even asked if I
would take a million dollars for my "Celestial Family" -- and of course I
said not a chance!! My family means the world to me - There isn't any amount
of money in this world that would get me to sell my family. I did this with
all of the art I made. I made EVERY work of art I did with them personal to
me -- and tried very hard for them to make every piece of art they made
something personal about them - what they hoped - dreamed - or desired - or
valued - or what they had to say about the world - you get the idea. ALL of
my projects were about the meaning - and I tried to make that meaning
valuable. As kids worked I would walk around the room and we would talk
about the meaning their work had to them....and yes sometimes their meaning
was that they were just doing the assignment just to get the grade (and that
was OK with me, too).

I don't make art to sell....I NEVER had that as a goal.... but I BUY ART -
and I buy art that has personal meaning to me - that brings up a happy
memory - and I always talked about the meaning the piece had to ME. My
African art all has meaning to the people who made it - and I have welded
that meaning into the personal meaning it has to me. In time, I will discuss
those meanings with you when I see the need arises.

I have been given a very special gift to use now while I am at home....and
it does all relate to my masters degree.

Sensational Sunday!

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. All of the work I have purchased from artists - I have talked to - I
know the meaning it has to them - and our meanings are often the same.

---