The "unmotivated student" - leave no child behind.

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 11:57:15 PDT

Leave No Child Behind....make each one important - even the naughty ones. I
sent this blurb to Patty earlier today.

>>I can prove that my kids learned the curriculum I was teaching them.... I
had a kid tell my husband that he got an A in art (he didn't - he couldn't
do the "book work" - he got a C). This kid was kicked out of my school and
went to my husband's school. He just lives down the street from us and
frequently stops by to talk. My class was the only class he passed in eighth
grade....and it was because his teachers finally started letting him come
down to my room for academic assist. He had been staying with me after
school to do his art work because he wasn't getting it done in class. He
didn't want others to see that he wasn't as good as everyone else - so he
chose to just not do it. When the kid was in the 95/45 room for in school
detention, we were very lucky to have a black man as a substitute (just
worked out - the permanent monitor would have ignore him). I took a tray of
supplies down to the room and went over with this guy how to do the
project - spend a lot of time so he would feel confindent in teaching the
lesson to Nick.... Nick worked very hard on his sculpture - a football
player (plaster addition). Nick got kicked out of school during the some of
days we were plastering....so I gave him a "detention" to finish the
work.... When he couldn't make a helmet he asked me for help... I had to
tell him I honestly didn't know either and that we would work on it
together - it was a "collaboration". That sculpture of his was in the school
art show. The only time any of his work had ever even been on display (this
happened often with my kids - they would tell me their work never got put up
in the halls)....Once when Nick came over I said "Shame on you for telling
Mr Decker you got an A in art"...he just grinned and said "Mrs, Decker, I
still have that sculpture"....and I said congratulations! You DID get an A
in art.

I did have some fun telling some staff members that Nick was my
neighbor.....Who knows what that kid might have done if I hadn't treated him
with respect and helped him learn "my curriculum".

I know you folks don't have time read what I write. I don't expect you
to.....but it does help me to write out the good times I had with kids. I
just have so much more fun telling you about them too. I will share that one
story how I go another students to work soon. I have been helping you all
year.....now I am doing something that is for me (smile folks).

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/