Re: Help!!! (Curriculum)

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 17:16:59 PDT

Boy, I know how you feel. It's a big job. My colleague and I wrote ours a
couple years ago. We wanted to keep it general so that we could teach
different lessons every year, but still cover the content. I found the
Getty scope and sequence to be very helpful:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Scope/index.html
The course description and course outcomes were fairly easy to come up with
using the state standards and what we felt students get from our art
program. The hard part was organizing the specifics without getting too
specific.
    We came up with two units taught in every grade level throughout the
whole year. Within the units, the complexity, media, vocabulary and projects
change for each level. The first unit is "Skill and Knowledge Development,"
and within that unit we have manipulative, social, problem solving, and
cultures&artists. Unit Two is "Visual Communication," and within the unit
we have elements, principles (we focus on different ones each grade level),
composition, mixed media, drawing, 3-D, and oral/written evaluation. Under
each heading there is a list of more specific skills (but no projects or
lessons), materials, time frames and assessment procedures. Hope this helps
a bit to get you started.

Leah