RE: Help!!! (Curriculum)

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 14:49:48 PDT

Hi! I am a newbie who is delurking for the first time. I teach k-5 art in
Ohio. Here's a reponse for the curriculum question.

Kimberly,
Does your state have a comprehensive arts curriculum? This would be a great
place to start as they give you all the objectives for each grade level.
Here's an example of the state of Ohio's 1st grade performance objectives:
  The learner will:
     * Investigate materials, tools, structures, processes and subjects to
discover how they are used by artists and the learner to create art forms.

Also, be sure to start simple and build upon it through the age groups. Color
is an easy example:
Kindergarten- intro primary & secondary colors
First- mix primaries to get secondaries
Second- Add tertiary or intermediate colos and intro warm & cool
Third- shades & tints
Fourth- complementary colors, intensity, value
Fifth- color harmonies- triad, analogous, monochromatic, complementary

These came from our school's comprehensive arts course of study. If you would
like a copy as an example, let me know! I hope this helps somewhat.

Denise Pannell
cen_aca_dp @nwoca.org

---