Re: Silk painting/ church banners

---------

From: Jude&Frank (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 14:20:59 PDT

Jan,
    I did check out Nancy Chinn-awesome stuff & coincidentally, the woman
I'm working with had one of those books, with pages marked. I really
appreciate the suggestions, because we worked on some banners about 6 months
ago-spent quite a bit of time drawing the images first on some pretty fine
fabric and then were dismayed when the paint bled uncontrollably-so you hit
that nail on the head-(and for that project, we went to canvas).
    The banners will hang in a space which is incredibly high and so we can
go, like 10 feet or more if we want. The worship space is pretty empty in
this area, (it's at the rear of the room) and the room is large, with a high
ceiling. We are looking at this as an installation which will remain up for
a while. It's a real pain in the butt to anchor whatever art goes up, so we
are also trying to problem solve that aspect (with suggestions from an
engineer).
Please know I appreciate very much your suggestions-thanks for the links!
Jude

> In all seriousness, were I in your shoes, I'd take a little time to do
some experiementing with 1or 2yd lengths - Polyester lining type fabric
(much cheaper than silk), also interfacing, some lightweight muslin, and
some silk. Some of the paints I'd try would be regular acrylic, fabric
paints ( Pebeo or Jacquard). I'd also try some areas predampened, some dry.
See www.dharmatradingco.com for a good company to work with. Jan
> (Did you check out Nancy Chinn? )

---